quinta-feira, 13 de março de 2014

Huge Monstra

Tomorrow starts Monstra. What is Monstra? An animation festival which will be held in Lisbon next week. And I have a movie in the Student Competition. Hurray! :)

This is the right time to show an animation I did for the Design Class when I was in 2nd year of college (in 2012).
The aim was to create a logo like if it was to be used at the real Monstra festival (but it was just an academic exercise).
I'm not the best at creating logos but I give my best. In the end, I had to animate this logo, as if it was a spot for the festival. The result was this.



I was pleased with the result, despite of the frustration of having to work in Flash (animating in this program was mandatory, and it took me a week to animate ... since then, I never used Flash anymore, it isn't very good).
The reception was so good that last year I was contacted by the festival director, asking to use the video as a spot in the real Monstra. And so my spot served to advertise Monstrinha, the children's movies section (I had to change the name to "Monstrinha" for the occasion). It was very rewarding.


To create the logo I knew I had to have a monster character, so I started drawing and I came to this stripped semi-snake with arms. It's a friendly monster.







I started coloring it and joined it with the name of the festival.



I thought it would be funny to put him twisting the letter "M". I started playing with the character and the "M".




After the logo it was time to think about the animation. The path was clear. The monster had to be twisting the "M". I thought of a white background with an "M" and the character appearing to bend it. The rest came by itself. Here's the storyboard.



Therefore, if you're in Lisbon, I want all of you to visit the festival and support this small area that is animation. Surely you are going to find some great movies. Here's the festival site: http://en.monstrafestival.com/

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário